下面是小编给大家带来关于爱情与摔断胳膊双语美文(共含6篇),一起来看看吧,希望对您有所帮助。同时,但愿您也能像本文投稿人“丹麦宋小宝”一样,积极向本站投稿分享好文章。
“But what if I break my arm again?” my five year-old daughter asked, her lower lip trembling. I knelt holding onto her bike and looked her right in the eyes. I knew how much she wanted to learn to ride. How often she felt left out when her friends pedaled by our house. Yet ever since she'd fallen off her bike and broken her arm, she'd been afraid.
“可我要再把胳膊给摔断了怎么办?”我五岁的女儿问道,她的下唇颤抖着。我跪着抓稳了她的自行车,直视着她的眼睛。我很明白她非常想学会骑车。多少次了,她的朋友们踩车经过我们家时,她感到给抛下。可自从上次她从自行车上摔下来,把胳膊给摔断之后,她对车便敬而远之。
“Oh honey,” I said. “I don't think you'll break another arm.”
“噢,亲爱的。”我说,“我不认为你会把另一只胳膊给摔断的。”
“But I could, couldn't I?”
“但有可能,不是吗?”
“Yes,” I admitted, and found myself struggling for the right thing to say. At times like this, I wished I had a partner to turn to. Someone who might help find the right words to make my little girl's problems disappear. But after a disastrous marriage and a painful divorce, I'd welcomed the hardships of being a single parent and had been adamant in telling anyone who tried to fix me up that I was terminally single.
“是的,”我承认道,使劲想找出些道理来说。每逢此时,我便希望自己有人可依靠。一个可以说出正确道理、帮我的小女儿解决难题的人。可经过一场可悲的婚姻和痛苦的离婚后,我倾向于当个单身母亲,并且我还态度坚决地告诉每个要给我介绍对象的人说我要抱定终身不嫁。
“I don't think I want to ride,” she said and got off her bike.
“我不想学了。”她说着,下了自行车。
We walked away and sat down beside a tree.
我们走到一旁,坐在一颗树旁。
“Don't you want to ride with your friends?” I asked.
“难道你不想和朋友们一起骑车吗?”我问。
“And I thought you were hoping to start riding your bike to school next year,” I added.
“而且我还以为你希望明年踩着车回去上学呢。”我补充道。
“I was,” she said, her voice almost a quiver.
“我是希望。”她说,声音有点颤。
“You know, hon,” I said. “Most everything you do comes with risks. You could get a broken arm in a car wreck and then be afraid to ever ride in a car again. You could break your arm jumping rope. You could break your arm at gymnastics. Do you want to stop going to gymnastics?”
“知道吗,宝贝。”我说,“很多要做的事情都是带有风险的。汽车失事也会折断胳膊,那么你就算再坐在车上也会害怕。跳绳也有可能折断胳膊。做体操也有可能折断胳膊。你连体操也想不练了吗?”
“No,” she said. And with a determined spirit, she stood up and agreed to try again. I held on to the back of her bike until she found the courage to say, “Let's go!”
“不想。”她说。然后她毅然站起,同意再试试。我扶着车尾,直到她有勇气说:“放手!”
I spent the rest of the afternoon at the park watching a very brave little girl overcome a fear, and congratulating myself for being a self-sufficient single parent.
后来一个下午,我就在公园里看着这个有无比勇气的小女孩克服了恐惧,我恭喜自己成了可以独当一面的单身家长。
As we walked home, pushing the bike as we made our way along the sidewalk, she asked me about a conversation she'd overheard me having with my mother the night before.
回家时,我们推着自行车顺着人行道走,她问起昨天晚上我和我妈妈的一个对话,那是她无意中听到的。
“Why were you and grandma arguing last night?”
“你昨晚为什么和姥姥吵?”
My mother was one of the many people who constantly tried to fix me up. How many times had I told her “no” to meeting the Mr. Perfect she picked out for me. She just knew Steve was the man for me.
我妈妈总是想安排我去相亲的许多人中的一个。我多次拒绝去看她给我找的合适对象。她知道史蒂文和我会合得来。
“It's nothing,” I told her.
“没什么事。”我告诉她。
She shrugged. “Grandma said she just wanted you to find someone to love.”
她耸耸肩。“姥姥说她只不过想让你找个人来爱。”
“What grandma wants is for some guy to break my heart again,” I snapped, angry that my mother had said anything about this to my daughter.
“姥姥想再找个人来伤我的心。”我厉声说道,很生气妈妈把这件事跟我的女儿说了。
“But Mom.”
“可妈妈。”
“You're too young to understand,” I told her.
“你还太小,不明白。”我对她说。
She was quiet for the next few minutes. Then she looked up and in a small voice gave me something to think about.
接下来好几分钟她都很安静。然后她抬起头,小小声地说了句令我深思不已的话。
“So I guess love isn't like a broken arm.”
“那么我猜爱情和断胳膊不是一回事了。”
Unable to answer, we walked the rest of the way in silence. When I got home, I called my mother and scolded her for talking about this to my daughter. Then I did what I'd seen my brave little girl do that very afternoon. I let go and agreed to meet Steve.
我无言以对,余下的路我们在沉默中走完了。回到家后,我给妈妈打了个电话,责备她不该和我女儿谈论这话题。接着我做了一件那个下午看到我那勇敢的小女儿所做过的事。我松口答应和史蒂文见面。
Steve was the man for me. We married less than a year later. It turned out mother and my daughter were right.
史蒂文正是我的合适人选。大约一年前我们结了婚。结果证明我妈妈和女儿是正确的。
双语美文微尘与栋梁
It is curious that our own offenses should seem so much less heinous than the offenses of others. I suppose the reason is that we know all the circumstances that have occasioned them and so manage to excuse in ourselves what we cannot excuse in others. We turn our attention away from our own defects, and when we are forced by untoward events to consider them, find it easy to condone them. For all I know we are right to do this; they are part of us and we must accept the good and bad in ourselves together.
让人奇怪的是,和别人的过错比起来,我们自身的过错往往不是那样的可恶。我想,其原因应该是我们知晓一切导致自己犯错的情况,因此能够设法谅解自己的错误,而别人的错误却不能谅解。我们对自己的缺点不甚关注,即便是深陷困境而不得不正视它们的时候,我们也会很容易就宽恕自己。据我所知,我们这样做是正确的。缺点是我们自身的一部分,我们必须接纳自己的好和坏。
But when we come to judge others, it is not by ourselves as we really are that we judge them, but by an image that we have formed of ourselves fro which we have left out everything that offends our vanity or would discredit us in the eyes of the world. To take a trivial instance: how scornful we are when we catch someone out telling a lie; but who can say that he has never told not one, but a hundred?
但是当我们评判别人的时候,情况就不同了。我们不是通过真实的自我来评判别人,而是用一种自我形象来评判,这种自我形象完全摒弃了在任何世人眼中会伤害到自己的虚荣或者体面的东西。举一个小例子来说:当觉察到别人说谎时,我们是多么地蔑视他啊!但是,谁能够说自从未说过谎?可能还不止一百次呢。
There is not much to choose between men. They are all a hotchpotch of greatness and littleness, of virtue and vice, of nobility and baseness. Some have more strength of character, or more opportunity, and so in one direction or another give their instincts freer play, but potentially they are the same. For my part, I do not think I am any better or any worse than most people, but I know that if I set down every action in my life and every thought that has crossed my mind, the world would consider me a monster of depravity. The knowledge that these reveries are common to all men should inspire one with tolerance to oneself as well as to others. It is well also if they enable us to look upon our fellows, even the most eminent and respectable, with humor, and if they lead us to take ourselves not too seriously.更多信息请访问:www.24en.com/
人和人之间没什么大的差别。他们皆是伟大与渺小,善良与邪恶,高尚与低俗的混合体。有的人性格比较坚毅,机会也比较多,因而达个或那个方面,能够更自由地发挥自己的禀赋,但是人类的潜能却都是相同的。至于我自己,我认为自己并不比大多数人更好或者更差,但是我知道,假如我记下我生命中每一次举动和每一个掠过我脑海的想法的话,世界就会将我视为一个邪恶的怪物。每个人都会有这样的怪念头,这样的认识应当能够启发我们宽容自己,也宽容他人。同时,假如因此我们得以用幽默的态度看待他人,即使是天下最优秀最令人尊敬的人,而且假如我们也因此不把自己看得过于重要,那是很有裨益的。
扩展:社会各界职位一览
Civil Engineer 土木工程师
Clerk/Receptionist 职员/接待员
Clerk Typist & Secretary 文书打字兼秘书
Computer Data Input Operator 计算机资料输入员
Computer Engineer 计算机工程师
Computer Processing Operator 计算机处理操作员
Computer System Manager 计算机系统部经理
Copywriter 广告文字撰稿人
Deputy General Manager 副总经理
Economic Research Assistant 经济研究助理
Electrical Engineer 电气工程师
Engineering Technician 工程技术员
English Instructor/Teacher 英语教师
Export Sales Manager 外销部经理
Export Sales Staff 外销部职员
与朋友保持联系双语美文
I recently met an old friend I hadn’t seen in ages.He said that he had been busy and also didn’t really know how to contact me.I told him the same.
我最近见了一位许久没见面的老朋友。他说自己过去一直很忙,也真的不知道与我联系。我告诉我也是一样。
The truth is,we have a few mutual friends,and if we had really wanted to contact each other, we could have.But with busy schedules,and family life--and all sorts of things going on--well, I guess we just lost touch.
事实是,我们有一些共同的朋友,如果我们真的想联系对方,我们可以马上联系得到。但是繁忙的日程安排和家庭生活――及各种各样的事情――嗯,我想我们就失去联系了。
So,I got to thinking about the people I am in touch with now and those I’d like to contact.I have a lot of friends and acquaintances,I used to have many more.Somewhere along the line,we just lost contact with each other.
所以,我开始思考我现在联系到的人及我想联系的人。我有很多朋友和老相识,我以前有更多。但事与愿违, 我们刚刚失去了联系。
I’d like to contact some of my friends from high school.I’d like to say hello to some of the people I used to know in New York and California,I know I could do it.
我想联系一些高中的朋友。我想和一些自己曾经在纽约和加利福尼亚州认识的人打个招呼,我知道我能做到。
It wouldn’t require me to bend over backwards,but I am not sure if I should.I mean,I have my hands full right now with family and work. Plus,I have people that I am in contact with now,and I fell kind of guilty that I am not able to spend more time with them.
它不会让我使出浑身解数,但是我不确定自己是否应该这样做。我的.意思是,现在的工作和家庭已经让我分身乏术。另外,我现在也和一些人保持着联系,有种罪恶感蒙上我的心头,我不可以在他们身上再花更多的时间。
Who needs more guilt? Not me!
谁需要更多的罪恶?不是我!
与勇气有关的双语美文
Courage勇气
One of my favorite movies growing up was The Wizard of OZ. 从小到大一直以来,我最喜欢的电影之一是《绿野仙踪》。
Did you ever see it? 你曾经看过这部电影吗?
In Dorothy's adventures, she was accompanied by theTin Man,who wanted a heart, 在多萝西的冒险故事中, 陪伴着她的是想要一颗心的铁皮人,
the Scarecrow,who wanted a brain, 想要大脑的稻草人,
the Lion,who wanted courage,and her faithful dog Toto. 想要勇气的狮子,还有她的忠实的狗托托。
At certain times in my life,I could relate to each of those characters, 在我的生命中的特定时候,我可以联系到书里的'每个人物,
I think we all can, 我想我们都可以,
In fact, that’s probably one of the reasons why the movies are so popular. 事实上,这可能就是为什么这些电影如此大获成功的原因之一,
Sometimes we lack something. 有时候我们缺少一些东西。
Often it's courage. 通常它就是勇气。
Because we interact with people all day and we are often forced to be more public' than we'd like. 因为我们每天与人打交道,我们经常被迫比我们想的更为公开。
well,we have to muster our courage and perform in front of others, 嗯,我们必须鼓起勇气在别人面前表现,
It could be a job interview. it could be a presentation, 它可能是一次工作面试。它可能是一次演讲,
or it could be standing in front of a group and simply introducing yourself. 或者,这也可能是站在一群人面前,进行简单的自我介绍。
I think some people are naturally courageous.我想有些人天生就是勇气非凡。
They are great at public speaking, 他们非常善于演讲,
They don't seem to get too nervous, 他们似乎不太紧张,
Others... well, just the thought of speaking in front of others causes them to get butterflies... to break out in a sweat, ...to start stuttering why is that? 而别人……嗯,只是想在人面前说话……就使他们感到紧张,开始汗流浃背,开始结巴,那是为什么?
In a coldwinter, a couple had to move out from the luxury villa because of bankruptcy.The husband worked day and night to support the family but with no care of hiswife. So she thought, “he doesn't love me any more, he just cares hisbusiness…not me”。
一个寒冷的冬天,一对夫妇因为破产,所以不得不从豪宅里搬出。丈夫每天辛勤工作以维持家庭开支,但很少顾及到妻子。于是,妻子暗自想道:“他不再爱我了,他只在乎他的事业,而不是我。”
One day,she began to take a bath, he stopped her at the door, “Let me take it first,okay?”
一天,妻子准备洗澡,可丈夫叫住了她,“让我先洗吧。”
“Why notlet me shower first,” she asked. “I was tired, sweetie, you take it later,okay?” She was totally depressed.
“为什么不让我先洗呢?”“亲爱的,因为我很累,你之后再洗吧”妻子为此很不开心。想学习更多英语知识,请关注口袋英语aikoudaiyy
On amorose day, she found nothing to do and turned on his computer, a few wordsblurred her eyes…it was his diary:
一天,妻子无所事事,郁郁寡欢,于是打开了丈夫的电脑。上面的几行字让她的眼睛湿润了,那是他的日记。
Today, Iwas quite sad, she asked me why I was always taking the bath first, and I saidto her, I was exhausted. She was unhappy, in her mind, I treated her not aswell as usual, but how can I do? I was not as rich as before! We moved to thesmall apartment, there was only a shower in the bathroom, it was so cold totake a shower in such a freezing winter. But I found that if one person tookthe shower first, the room could get a little warm, so every time I rushed tothe bathroom first. I was thinking that, when she took the shower, the roomwould get warmer, at least 1℃, 2℃ or 3℃。
今天,我很不开心,因为她问我为什么总是我先洗澡,而我对她说,因为我太累了,想先洗。她肯定不高兴了,觉得我对她不像以前那么好了。但是我该怎么做呢?我不像以前那么有钱呀!我们搬到了一个小公寓,只有一个洗澡间,在这样的冬天洗澡真是冻死人了。但我发现,如果一个人先洗的话,浴室就会暖和的,所以每次我都第一个冲进浴室。我想,等她进去浴室时,至少暖和一两度吧。
Now Ican't give her comfortable life, bring her the luxury restaurant, buy expensivedresses for her, but at least, I can give her 1℃ love.
现在,我不能给她舒适的生活,带她去高级餐厅,给她买漂亮的衣服,但至少我还能给她1℃的爱情。
仪容整洁与个人卫生双语美文
Grooming and personal hygiene have been around for ages. It's hard to imagine a time when people weren't concerned with taking care of their appearance and their bodies. Perhaps these practices started when Adam first took a bath and combed his hair before going on a date with Eve. Or maybe they began when Eve put on some herbal makeup to make herself more beautiful. No matter where they started, grooming and personal hygiene have become an important part of everyone's daily routine.
仪容整洁和个人卫生的讲究已经行之有年了。很难想象一个人们不在乎打理外表和身体清洁的时代。或许这些卫生习惯始于亚当第一次洗澡梳头去赴夏娃的约;也可能始于夏娃第一次搽上青草制的化妆品使自己更美丽。无论是从何时开始的,仪容整洁与个人卫生已经成为每个人生活例行事务中重要的一部份。
You might think that all modern societies would have the same grooming and personal hygiene practices. After all, doesn't everybody take baths? Most people do recognize the need for hygiene, which is the basis for cleanliness and health-and a good way to keep one's friends. Grooming practices include all the little things people do to make themselves look their best, such as combing their hair and putting on makeup. However, while most modern people agree that these things are important, people in different cultures take care of themselves in different ways.
你可能以为所有现代社会中的仪容整洁与卫生习惯都是一样的。毕竟,不是每一个人天天都要洗澡的吗?大部份人的确肯定卫生的必要性,它是清洁与健康的基础,也是维持友谊的好办法。仪容整洁的工作涵盖了所有可以使人看起来体面的琐碎小事,像是梳头和化妆。虽然大多数的现代人都同意这些事很重要,但不同文化背景的人打理自己的方法也不一样。
There used to be an old joke in America that people should take a bath once a week, whether they need one or not. In fact, though, Americans generally take a bath-or more commonly, a shower-every day. But in contrast to some cultures, most Americans get their shower in the morning, so they can start the day fresh. And instead of going to a beauty parlor for a shampoo, many Americans prefer to wash and style their own hair. So if Americans have a “bad hair day,” they have no one to blame but themselves. But most people in America do head for the beauty parlor or barber shop occasionally for a haircut, a perm or just some friendly conversation.
以前在美国有一个老笑话,说不管人们需不需要,他们至少每个礼拜该洗一次澡。不过事实上,美国人每天会洗一次澡,或者更普遍的作法是每天淋浴一次。但是不同于某些文化习惯的是,美国人在清晨淋浴,以使他们展开清新的一天。而且美国人不上美容院去洗头,他们宁可自己洗头和整理发型。所以美国人如果有一天头发很丑,除了怪自己之外就没什么好抱怨的了。然而大部份的美国人偶尔会到美容院或理发厅去,剪头发、烫头发,或是去跟人聊聊天。
Americans are known for having very sensitive noses. In America, “B.O.” (body odor) is socially unacceptable. For that reason, Americans consider the use of deodorant or anti-perspirant a must. Ladies often add a touch of perfume for an extra fresh scent. Men may splash on after-shave lotion or manly-smelling cologne. Another cultural no-no in America is bad breath. Americans don't like to smell what other people ate for lunch-especially onions or garlic. Their solution? Mouthwash, breath mints and even brushing their teeth after meals.
美国人的鼻子是出了名的灵。在美国,体臭在社交上是不被接受的。因此,美国人会认为使用除臭剂或止汗剂是必须的。女士们通常会再抹点香水以增加清香;男士则拍一些刮胡水或是男性古龙水在脸上。在美国文化里的另一项禁忌是口臭。美国人不喜欢闻别人午餐后留在口中的味道--尤其是洋葱或大蒜。他们怎么解决这问题呢?漱口、吃薄荷糖、甚至饭后刷牙。
Some of the cultural variations in grooming practices result from physical differences between races. Whereas many Asian men have little facial hair, Westerners have a lot. As a result, most American men spend some time each day shaving or grooming their facial hair. Beards and mustaches are common sights in America, although their popularity changes from generation to generation. Most American men who wear facial hair try to keep it nicely trimmed. American women, on the other hand, generally prefer not to be hairy at all. Many of them regularly shave their legs and armpits.
有些仪容整洁方面的文化差异是源自于种族间生理条件的不同。亚洲男性面部的胡髭长得并不多,但西方人却长得多,因此美国的男性每天得花些时间去刮除或整理他们的脸毛。在美国,男人在下巴部份或嘴唇上方留胡子是很普通的,不过不同时代胡子受欢迎的样式不相同。在美国大部份留胡子的男性都会试着将胡子修剪整齐,但另一方面,美国女性通常不喜欢毛茸茸的,很多人会定期地刮除腿部和腋下的毛。
Americans put great value on both grooming and personal hygiene. For some people, taking care of themselves has become almost a religion. As the old saying goes, “Cleanliness is next to godliness.” Whether or not being clean and well-groomed brings one closer to God, it certainly brings one closer to others. Americans look down on people who don't take care of themselves, or who “let themselves go.” To Americans, even if we don't have much to work with, we have to make the best of what we've got.
美国人非常看重仪容整洁与个人卫生。对某些人而言,打理自己几乎成了一种信仰,如一句古老的谚语说:清洁是仅次于圣洁第二重要的事。不管整齐清洁是不是能使人更接近上帝,但它的确能拉近与人的距离。美国人轻视那些不在乎打理自己或让自己随随便便就好的人。对美国人而言,就算我们没有非常好的先天条件,但至少该尽力将已有的好好发挥。
扩展:足球词汇
快攻;快速突破:fast break [counterattack]
防守反击:switch from defense1 to attack; counterattack; push up
快速反击:fast-switching attack; runback
沉底:drive down the sideline
靠近对方球门线:deep
钳形攻势:pincers movement
摆脱动作:evasive movement
绕过防守队员(通过假动作):turn a defender2
侧步躲闪:sidestep
补位:cover a position; fill a gap; plug a hole
跑位:run off the ball
跑位意识:positional sense
跑动量(一场比赛中):work-rate
密集防守:tight [close] defense [marking]
地毯式防守:blanket defense
钉住:mark up; get tight
撤退:retreat; withdraw
后撤防守(引对方进入中场口袋):funnel back
解围(踢开球门区):clear
封死:close off
人墙:(defensive)wall
筑人墙:set [line] up a wall
突破:break; thrust
中路突破:thrust down the middle
单刀直入:solo drive
突破对方防守:split the defense
破坏对方防守:disorganize the defense
拉开对方的防守面:spread the defense
正面进攻:frontal attack
边线进攻:flank attack
左路进攻:attack on the left wing
右路进攻:attack on the right wing
全面压上:sweeping attack
助攻:assist
穿过:weave through
插入:cut in; penetrate
二夹一:double-team
★ 永不低头双语美文
★ 美式烹饪双语美文
★ 爱情美文